Saturday, January 30, 2010

Simplicity Lesson from an Almost 100 Year Old!



Every year for the past 3 years, I've given my Aunt Catherine a beautiful orchid. Each time I visit her, she remarks how the plant is doing and she wonders if it will ever be as beautiful as it once was - if it will flower again.

Last week when I went to see her, her face lit up as she told me to come to see her plants! They had indeed flowered again - almost 2 years later! She said the first thing she does when she comes down in the morning is to look at her plants.

Aunt Catherine will be 100 years old this April and her pure happiness from watching her plant bloom was a reminder to me that the simple things in life are what really matter. That watching a flower bloom is in essence a spiritual practice which brings us back to presence, the Creator, the stillness, the Oneness - all that ever matters.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Jo,

I really need your knowledge :) I am a journalist, writing an article about parents who raise their children in vegetarism. I need your accurate analysis :)
Could you please answer a few question? Please let me know if it's possible for you as soon as possible.
This article will be published on Slate.fr (yes, I am french).

Thank you sooooo much !
Delphine Jung